How can we create a fair and equitable society?
Side by Side Conference
Wayside Chapel’s Side by Side Conference took place on Friday, 7 February 2020 at Charles Perkins Auditorium, The University of Sydney. The event was presented in partnership with Sydney Policy Lab and proudly supported by Portfolio Construction Forum, Financial Services Council and Hattonneale. Throughout the day, there was a series of keynotes and panels, with speakers including:
- Emma Alberici – ABC Chief Economics Correspondent
- Professor Danielle Allen – Director at Harvard University, USA
- Sue Cato – Founder of Cato Counsel
- Lucy Clarke – Features and Membership Editor of Guardian Australia
- Tim Costello AO – Executive Director of Micah Australia
- Amethyst DeWilde – From Life on the Breadline
- Audette Exel AO – CEO of Adara Group
- Will Gordon – Wayside Chapel
- Alex Greenwich – Independent Member for Sydney
- Cheryl Kernot – Former Australian politician, academic, and political activist
- David Knowles – Head of Philanthropy & Social Investment with Koda Capital
- Justin Koonin – President of ACON
- Graham Long – Pastor Emeritus of Wayside Chapel
- Eliane Miles – Social Researcher at The Curious Co
- Nijole Naujokas – From Life on the Breadline
- Jon Owen – Pastor and CEO of Wayside Chapel
- Graham Rich – Managing Partner and Dean of Portfolio Construction Forum
- Michael Spence – Vice Chancellor of The University of Sydney
- Professor Marc Stears – Director of the Sydney Policy Lab, The University of Sydney
- Amanda Tattersall – Postdoctoral fellow on social change strategy and Research Lead at Sydney Policy Lab
- Malcolm Turnbull – Former Prime Minister of Australia
- Daisy Turnbull Brown – Director of Wellbeing at St Catherine’s School
- Mark Peacock – Director of Sustainable Finance at Commonwealth Bank Australia
- Phil Usher – CEO of First Nations Foundation
- Gary Ward – Wayside Chapel
- Louise Walsh – CEO of Future Generation
- Raja Yassine – Crescent Foundation Ambassador and Humanities Teacher
The next Side by Side Conference will take place in 2021.
Keynotes from Side by Side 2020
Malcolm Turnbull – Mixed Messages
Malcolm Turnbull was the 29th Prime Minister of Australia and a long-time supporter of Wayside Chapel. At our Side by Side Conference, Malcolm Turnbull and his daughter Daisy Turnbull Brown sat side by side with three students Eloise Aiken, Ethan Cheung and Alice Morgan to discuss the importance of younger voices in the public forum and in political discourse and the importance of respect. Watch Malcolm’s part of the panel below.
Daisy Turnbull Brown – Mixed Messages
Daisy Turnbull Brown is the Director of Positive Psychology at St Catherine’s School and is an advocate for focusing on mental health and wellbeing. At our Side by Side Conference, former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Daisy sat side by side with three students Eloise Aiken, Ethan Cheung and Alice Morgan to discuss the importance of younger voices in the public forum and in political discourse and the importance of respect. Watch Daisy’s part of the panel below.
Raja Yassine – Mixed Messages
Raja Yassine is a Humanities Teacher for Holroyd High School in Greystanes NSW, a school that supports newly arrived students of language backgrounds other than English and refugees. Raja is also an ambassador of Crescent Foundation, an organisation aimed at bringing positive change in Australian society including supporting refugees in education, helping homeless people and the conservation of Islamic art and culture. At Side by Side, Raja shared her experience of being a Muslim woman in Australia. Watch below.
Side by Side Conference – Friday, 7 February 2020
Side by Side Conversations
**There are no upcoming Side by Side Conversations events currently planned. Watch this space for the next event.**
Be part of the conversation about social inequality and join us for a very special evening with Side by Side Conversations. These are evenings that are in an intimate, relaxed setting where you will hear from a diverse range of speakers who will challenge and inspire you. The evening begins with drinks and canapes prepared by our Heart Cafe on our rooftop terrace, where you can mingle with other like-minded individuals.